Battery Backup and Storage
Look around your home. Your land line phone, fireplace and pilot lights (on stoves and hot water heaters) are likely gone. Our reliance on electrical power has increased significantly over the past 20 years. So when there is a power failure, we have no communications, no heat and no hot water. Our electricity-intensive society needs backup power more than ever.
We used to be skeptical of the need for battery backup and storage solutions. But over the past year, many of our Silicon Valley customers have experienced multiple blackouts, ranging from a few hours to a few days (or more). And these outages are happening in populated suburban areas – not up in the remote hills. Recent hurricanes and fires have elevated the need for backup power. And living in California it is only a matter of time until the next earthquake hits.
Fortunately, battery and inverter technology has improved significantly over the past few years. New battery backup and storage solutions are more reliable and less expensive than conventional natural gas backup power systems – and they provide the additional benefits of reduced electricity costs, especially for customers on time-of-use rates. These combined systems also qualify for federal tax credits and significant rebates – which can cover up to 50% of system costs.
In a nutshell, with these new solar battery backup and storage solutions you can reduce your electric bill to zero – and have a reliable source of backup power regardless of the condition of local gas pipelines and the electric grid.
Calculate your Savings
California currently offers up to $3,500 in Battery Backup Rebates
Click on the button below to see how much you could be saving with a solar battery backup and storage solution from Cinnamon Solar.
- AC or DC Coupled – Battery backup and storage solutions can be DC coupled or AC coupled. This terminology refers to the way the batteries are charged. DC coupled systems charge the battery directly from DC power, usually from solar. AC coupled systems charge the battery from AC power, generally from the output of another inverter. With AC coupled systems the output from the solar system is converted to AC power in the solar inverter, and then converted back to DC power to charge the battery in the battery storage inverter (basically, two inverters). The advantage of DC coupling is that the system can be designed with one specialized inverter, and there are fewer conversion losses since it is not necessary to convert the solar DC current to AC current, and then back to DC current to charge the battery.
- New or Retrofit Systems – for new installations it is generally better to install a DC coupled system. Only one inverter is required, and the control software will be under the “umbrella” of a single vendor. However, if you have an existing solar power system your best option is to install a separate AC coupled battery storage system.
- Utility Control of your System – utilities are motivated to increase their use and control of battery storage systems. When there are high temporary power demands, utilities prefer to use storage batteries instead of more expensive fossil fuel generating sources. Although most utility battery storage systems are being deployed at utility substations and central facilities, several utilities are partnering with residential battery storage installers to directly access the storage capacity of residential systems that are installed Behind-the-Meter (BTM). Although homeowners have paid for these BTM solar and storage systems, utilities are signing contracts with installers of large fleets of home battery systems to directly tap into the energy stored and generated by homeowners. We strongly recommend avoiding utility control of home storage systems until the economics to homeowners are clearly demonstrated. The last thing you want is the utility draining your battery during a local brownout, just prior to an upcoming blackout.
Protect Against Blackouts – Solar panels are required by law to shut off during a power outage to prevent electrocution hazard to utility workers trying to fix the problem. But with a battery backup solution your solar panels continue running in an outage, providing continuous power to critical loads in your home or business.
Protect Yourself From Rate Changes and Save Thousands in Electricity Costs – Electrical rates from utility companies are constantly increasing and their time-of-use rates always seem to be lowest when your solar panels are working, and highest when they are not. A solar powered battery backup system from Cinnamon Solar allows you to store the excess energy you produce, and use it when you need it most –keeping your utility bills as low as possible.
Powerful Incentives – These systems qualify for federal tax credits and significant rebates – which can cover up to 50% of the system cost.
- Utility Service: Your utility provider connects to your home or business to the electrical grid.
- Main Breaker Panel: Power from the grid enters your home through a set of wires connected to your main breaker panel where it divides electricity into subsidiary circuits that feed the electrical outlets within your home or business.
- Battery and Control System: Lithium Ion Batteries store solar energy generated during the day, and then consumed in the evening when rates are higher. Many systems also provide backup power from the battery (at night) and sun (during the day) when there is a power failure. Control system software determines the optimal times to charge or discharge the battery, and self-consume or sell back energy that is stored or generated in the home. This software must interface with the inverter and battery, as well as understand your home’s energy consumption schedules and local utility rates.
- Solar Power System: Solar Panels generate energy during the day. This energy can be stored in the battery (if the battery’s charge level is low), used directly in your home, or sold back to your utility under a net metering rate plan. An Inverter changes the DC power from batteries or solar panels into the AC power that you used in your home.
- Critical Loads Sub-Panel: A critical loads sub-panel is installed, which connects power from the Battery System to the important rooms and appliances in your home so you have power when a blackout happens.
Cinnamon Solar Solution
The team at Cinnamon Solar regularly performs hands-on technical evaluations of residential battery storage systems to ensure we are offering the leading solutions for your home. These evaluations are based on installation and performance results, using commercially available products and software to provide real-world insight on solutions that will deliver exceptional results for our customers.
Based on our technical evaluations, Cinnamon Solar is proud to offer the StorEdge solution from SolarEdge configured with the LG Chem RESU10 battery.
LG Chem RESU battery
The compact LG Chem RESU battery offers incredible flexibility, expandability, the world’s best energy density, and a better lifetime warranty.
The best solution for interfacing a LG Chem battery with solar panels and the utility grid. The SolarEdge StorEdge solution is a single inverter for grid-tie solar panel systems that also manages LG Chem battery to provide automatic backup power in case of grid interruption and optimization for peak demand shaving.
Your Silicon Valley Battery Backup and Storage Expert
If you’d like to eliminate black-outs and are ready to save thousands of dollars over the next 20 years or more, request a free quote from Cinnamon Solar –Silicon Valley’s premier solar and battery backup company.